PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 TRTOs in USA
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2015, 18:51
Quazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerostar

I can not call Smiling Dave a crook...legally. But (from my experience) he displays all the qualities of one. He sold me recurrent program and then could not produce examiner that was current with FAA. Lost my contract and bonus because Aerostar could not do a legal 61.58 for the training and my contract required it. I choose Aerostar specifically for that purpose, after all most foreign contracts require a current PC (OPC) and every "recurrent Training program" in USA includes one.

Smiling Dave's reply..."hey, you got the sim time". There was no guarantee of a 61.58. Even though his website's adverted "recurrent program" included a P/C (OPC) Dave's opinion is that you don't need a 61.58. Just training records. The adverted site listed the program as recurrency program and training records are good enough.

Aerostar....check to see whats missing in your contract training agreement.

Panam, used them many times. Hit and miss. Once got a 24 year kid with 400 hours total. He was the best sim guy I ever saw there. One of the best I ever had. They let him go because he didn't have ATP.
Once got a USAirways throw-away. Tried to BS his way through the program...I walked out and went to higher power in DFW....great outfit until a another outfit bought them. Last time I used Panam on the Bus program, I got a contract guy from another training facility. He was sharp guy, but was not really into the gig. Though the program manager is a sharp guy. But he doubles between a full time airline job and running the param program. He is not there everyday and can be difficult to deal with issues immediately.

AeroSim is also hot and cold. Can be good or bad, depending on who you get there. Personally the guy that started Aerosim hosed me 20 year ago and I never forget that. So I would not recommend him to anybody.

Really though, wherever you go consider these:
Sim availability....Panam anf Boeing have the most. Your sim goes down or has scheduling problems...what are the options. Though the Orlando sims are nice, Jet blue keeps them busy.

Alliance used to be good, but their top guy is into the $$$ and does little daily instruction anymore, usually just admin and check rides.. As well, they are into the bulk contracts and shying away from the solo guys.
Instructors....Do you have a guy or gal that is just punching the clock, or a person that is sincerely into teaching. Does your instructor have the interest or ability to modify their methods to match your style of learning? Or, have you got a 1960's air force instructor that is Pssed off at the World and broke.

Sim partners, always a grab bag situation. Param will provide a guy Named George if you need pay for support....he is good and knows how to help you without interrupting the training sequence.

Wherever you go, check the contract throughly and ask questions.....because it is like dealing with your ex. Once you slip the ring on her, you cant back out.

These comments represent my actual experiences, they are not suggest opinions.

Last edited by Quazar; 6th Dec 2015 at 21:46. Reason: content