PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2015, 14:35
Flaperon75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also think there will be A LOT of P2's, especially junior ones, who didn't bother bidding as they wouldn't have thought in a million years that commands would come so low. Having been hovering around the 2000 mark for the last 5 years or so, commands suddenly plummeted down close to 4000 and I think that has caught a lot of people out. Despite the old mantra of 'bid for what you want', I think a lot of people just can't be ar**d to bid if realistically little or no chance of a course/command. Especially those who are still in their 5 year engagement freeze.

This will have been exacerbated by a flt ops manager saying on a company forum, prior to the bid, that he thought short haul commands would be a lot more senior this year (!!)

I've no doubt that any supplementary bid for commands would attract many willing applicants.

Incidentally I also know of a recent joiner who bid for every position in the company. A 'comedy bid', not expecting to get any of them. He was shocked to be awarded a LHR command and doesn't want it. He really wants to go long haul and doesn't now know what to do. If he turns down the command he will be given a penalty freeze. If he takes the command (which he doesn't feel ready for) he will also be frozen on type. Bid for what you want!

Last edited by Flaperon75; 5th Dec 2015 at 16:13.