PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2015, 08:43
BASHLH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minimum Qualifications for BA Command Clarification

Just to clarify the required minimums for BA Command as few statements I've read on here aren't quite accurate..... It states in the OM-A Section 5.2 that there are 4 boxes of various experience, one of which you must satisfy before commencing a BA Command Course.

'1000 hrs PIC & 2000 hrs in command on civil jet transport greater than 25 tonnes with zero time in BA'I suggest won't apply to many, so we'll bypass that!

Most will fall into this category.....

'2000 hrs on jet transport greater than 25 tonnes or military equivalent, 1 year in BA'.

Being that the most Junior Command on offer is to a DEP with 6 months or so in BA and is at the back end of courses in terms of seniority then he/she will probably have completed close to 18 months in BA by the time the course comes around. It's most likely that the DEP joined BA with at least 500 hrs & still must have an ATPL (1500 hrs) to hold a command in any company as it's the law.

A large majority of DEP's joined with 320 ratings so will have plenty of previous experience... One chap I was safety pilot for on his day one was an ex Easy skipper... & will have 12 months in BA by the time a course arrives. There are some very experienced recent joiners which BA should take full advantage of if there is a course for them in seniority.

The question from ex Turbo Prob colleagues is does a Dash 8 count as 'Jet Transport'?... If it doesn't then '3500hrs total time, 2500 hrs on public transport greater than 12½ tonnes or military equivalent & 3 years 1500 hrs in BA will probably catch recent DEP's out....

In Summary of what's turned into a bit of a waffly post....

Yes, if you have just joined BA you can be offered a command course based on your previous experience. Hope this helps.

Rgds BASHLH.