PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fact or Fiction
Thread: Fact or Fiction
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 17:19
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
PN:-
The other oddity in annual reports was only to record time on type and not breakdown in types. I suspect little difference for a pilot on Nimrod 1or 2 but a whole different ball game for a Mk 2.
Not sure if I quite understand what you are saying Pontius, but the blurb in the front of my first RAF Form 414 (Pilots Flying Log Book) stated (I summarise) that Annual Summaries were to be made up in major sub-divisions, ie JET, TURBO PROP, PISTON, HELICOPTERS, with aircraft types shown under each sub-division. Beneath that is an example summary showing:

JET
Vulcan 1
Vulcan 2
PISTON
Anson Mk 21
with sample times against each type with Totalled Columns at the bottom, all done of course in red ink.

It is only now, having inspected my own summaries that I see that my first summary stuck strictly to the prescribed pattern, with separate entries for Jet Provost T Mk3 and T Mk4. Subsequent years though showed Hastings 1 and 2 (where the 1 was in fact a Mk1A!) entered as one type, in flagrant breach of the instructions. I suspect that others would have erred as I did. Fortunately the RAF only possessed one C Mark of the Hercules during my time, so that I slid back effortlessly into proper compliance...

As to the recording of Flying Time, it was always Take Off to Landing in my time (first/last flights 1960/1973).