PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2015, 08:14
Constructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parkway Link

Over the weekend there have been many interesting posts regarding options on the Link to Parkway. Now a reality check. What actually exists today is that there is a bus service. Various bodies have made comments about a rail link, an Enterprise Zone, including funding and the start of procedures for a rail link. If the rail link was given a green light today the earliest it would be operational is 6 years, imo. Thus the link will be by buses for at least 6 years.
So there is a need for reliable Bendy Buses at a frequency to suit demand, immediately.There must be a charge for this service. The fares must be collected independent of the bus.
I would suggest that consideration be given to extend the bus lane right into the CTA bus stop once the new dual carriageway is completed. The vast majority of passengers using the train go to London. I would further suggest that consideration be given for the bus to be routed via Kimpton Road with a stop at the eastern access to the station. This would give a much easier access for passengers to platform 1 (most London trains stop here).The ticketing arrangements would need to be looked at,
My view on the choice of link? I can see no advantage in building a rail link. Implementing some of my thoughts from will further improve the bus system.
A rail link will be difficult to construct which in turn will be a very expensive item. The only cost I can give is that a Tunneling machine will cost about £10,000,000
just to buy. As with all developments the bottom line is money. In this particular case lots of it. Who will fund it? The Airport, the airlines, Luton BC, the Government, Europe ( if we are still a member).? Did I say 6 years as an earliest start date?