PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4-Seat a/c for sale with 500 engine hours. £16k. What am I missing?
Old 30th Nov 2015, 21:55
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fully depends what you want from that airplane. I would not think so negatively of it. Tigers are not that often on the market and then a LOT more expensive usually.

If you want it as a pure VFR tourer? The Tiger is great for that. 140 kt cruise, decent payload and range, they usually are much more expensive. The advantages of the Tiger are that they are relatively economical in terms of what they need in maintenance: fixed gear and prop will do that. It won't set you back more than a PA28 but it is a good 20-30 kts faster!

You would need a full pre-buy with an experienced Grumman mechanic. But you need that with any plane you buy.

From the add: I am not a fan of such adds which really don't say much. The general numbers look not too bad, 500 hours on the engine, yea ok if it is what it's meant to portray (500 hrs since full overhaul or remanufacture) and it does look quite decent from the outside, inside a tad challenged. IF those figures are ok, then that is one quite decent airframe.

Avionics: The Trigg is good news. The audio panel is old but trusty. Whether that DME is still useable, don't know. The 2 nav/coms need eventual replacement. Don't know how long you can still fly with 720 channels, but for VFR, you don't need an expensive set.

What is "nice" about a plane like that is that you can eventually make it your own and put there what you want rather than be annoyed about what someone else bought. For a VFR plane, you could simply get one of those 8.33 Garmin sets which cost about 2.5k $, or you could look around for one or two GNS430 to replace those kings. VFR, a GPS695 with a panel mount can do the trick together with one new nav com. These are upgrades which won't break the bank and will do the job.

AP: For this airplane I'd recommend a S-Tec system 30. That would set you back around 20k installed.

As a first airplane for VFR touring, I'd try to get the price down a tad and give it a go (provided that all important pre-buy inspection does not bring up any show stoppers.) Tigers are fun airplanes. Then see that you can eventually upgrade those nav coms and have a great time flying it.

IF the plane is properly airworthy, the engine really 500 hrs since overhaul and the pre-buy checks out, try to get it for 15k. Upgraded those planes have asking prices of around 40k easily, so you could safely spend some 20k to make it yours and have good chances to resell eventually.

my 2 cents.

And of course: It kind of looks out for a pilot named "Gerry"