PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2015, 19:36
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunkeswell is around 840 feet ASL and even when other low airports are giving 1200 feet cloud base its quite possible that the aircraft attempted to fly VFR under a 1200 to 1500 foot cloud base but Dunkeswell could have easily had a cloud base with rising terrain on the ground or not far above it with mist and poor visibility.
Attempting to get in in those conditions with a big dollop of get there itis and its easy to see how this accident could occur flying VFR

David stow more west from Exeter was on the top of moorland and on a number of occasions impossible to safely get into while Exeter not far to the east was clear. It was also well known that Exeter had its own unique mini climate
i flew a construction company almost every week there ( Davidstowe ) for almost a year landing on 500 metres of good runway and often having to clear livestock in a low pass in a Baron 55 and Crusader 303 so knew if all bad at my destination chances were Exeter was good but I used a strict regime on deciding to chuck it away and divert no get there itis

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 26th Nov 2015 at 19:47.