PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air To Air..... Helicopter vs FJ
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2015, 21:31
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Oh, purlease, mechanical palm trees are my kind of target. Here are a few examples...

6 Feb 1991
USAF A-10A vs. IRAF Bo-105
A USAF A-10 ground attack aircraft shoots down an Iraqi Bo-105 helicopter using its GAU-8 30mm cannon.

7 Feb 1991 USN F-14 vs. IRAF Mi-8
A USN F-14 shoots down an IRAF Mi-8 helicopter with an AIM-9 missile. It is the last USN F-14 air-to-air kill

11 Feb 1991 USAF F-15Cs vs. IRAF helicopters
Two F-15Cs shoot down two unidentified Iraqi helicopters by using AIM-7 missiles for both.

14 Feb 1991 USAF F-15E vs. IRAF Hughes 500
An F-15E Strike Eagle fighter/bomber dropped a laser-guided bomb onto a Hughes 500 helicopter in the air. The helicopter was on the ground initially loading up commandos, though it took off. Even with it taking off they left the laser on it and the bomb hit it when it was "200 or so" feet in the air.

15 Feb 1991 USAF A-10A vs. IRAF Mi-8
An A-10A ground attack aircraft shoots down an Iraqi Mi-8 helicopter with its GAU-8 30mm cannon.

In 1978, a Soviet Mig-23 Flogger intercepted 4 Iranian CH-47 Chinook helicopters inside Soviet airspace, shooting one of them down and damaging another.

In 1988, two Soviet Mig-23 Floggers shot down a pair of Iranian AH-1J Super Cobra attack helicopters over western Afghanistan.

On 7 January 1992, an Italian Army Bell 206 helicopter was shot down by a Serbian MiG in Croatia.
I can always remember flying with CBFI in a F3 and teaching him CW boresight shots with a Skyflash against the Chinny. The distance between the jet and the helo at missile time out was about 2-3 miles and then listening to the crewman with the dodgy northern accent then calling 'snapshot guns' as we looked at him through the rotor-blade arcs of his mighty wokka - I am sure his pilot would have been delighted he had just simulated shooting his rotorblades off!

Once in the fight then turning with the helo was a mugs' game unless you used the vertical. Getting ASRAAM made the helicopter so easy to get a valid shot against in later years compared to the older Aim-9. However, the choice of champions was a bit of air to ground strafe that we all practiced for and during Op DENY FLIGHT - the only annoying thing was to find a HIP, ask for instructions from the CAOC and then get told to 'shadow' until you ran out of fuel and had to go to the tanker 25 minutes later.

I also know of a Winnebago kill in the Nevada Desert by a FJ following a high speed low level pass on the edge of the supersonic area. The result was the Winnebago was dragged of the road and rolled along for a few hundred feet in the supersonic wake. I can't imagine a wokka doing very well either in that sort of shockwave whilst flying 'nap of the earth'. If anyone has a piccie of the Winnebago then please post it as I've always wondered what it looked like!

LJ