PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AC Pilots may be getting another big hit
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2003, 04:28
skidoo_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's sad to see that thousands and thousands of people's lives lie in waiting for the outcome of this...

MR. ACA pilot, don't forget that many others will lose their jobs too (as a result of the seniority list megers) with most likely more time under their belts with ACA than you.

Pilots need to look at the big picture here. Its not just your job in jeapordy, its the mech that fixes your plane, the groomer who cleans, the catering guy, the fueler, the ticket agent, the taxi driver etc.....

I think if ACA goes down because of Pilot's selfish wants, the Pilot as a profession will lose the credibility and respect it has gained over many decades. I can see little old ladies slapping their captain on the face saying "shame on you!"......

TG

I've gotta jump at this one, TG, cause you've hit on the crux of the matter with your post.

The major problem with AC is exactly the "thousands of people" you refer to. If it weren't for the dozens of hangers-on to every AC flight that goes airborne we'd be in fine shape, thank you very much. I will single out maintenance personnel as undeserving of the brush with which you paint them - they are professionals who have devoted a lifetime to excellence in their field and are bearing the brunt of the unskilled masses the same as the pilots are.

Honestly, shake your head, man! We have lead ramp attendants making more money - like 1.5 to 1.75 times as much as FIRST OFFICERS for %$#@ sakes. They make 2 to 3 times as much as their most senior counterpart at any of our competitiors. This scenario is played out many times over, be it flight attendants, customer service agents (there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one), or any other manner of un-skilled, under-educated, un-motivated, bitchy and lazy-assed "entitled" morons roaming these premises.

Our skilled labour groups, chiefly the pilots and the maintainers, subsidize this ridiculous compensation of the un-skilled. Fercrysakes, the fact that we actually HAVE such a thing as a "lead" ramp attendant outta give pause. Check last month's issue of "Horizons" - there's a guy in YVR celebrating 40 years with AC. He's a friggin' "lead" stockkeeper, of all things! Can anybody out there tell me if they've ever heard of a stockkeeper with 40 years seniority? If so, has he made "lead" yet? Honestly...somebody induce some reality, here, will ya? If it did nothing but sort out this pile of horse dung, liquidation would be well worth the effort.

Power set MCT against incredible drag,

skidoo