PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F16 shoots down unidentified aircraft in their airspace.
Old 25th Nov 2015, 16:26
A_Van

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angels:
Why are so excited about the bases? Many countries have their presence abroad. A routine stuff... The UK has its base in Cyprus and I have nothing against - it's a bilateral business between the British and Cypriots, and while the latter are happy who else could (and have a right to) raise a complaint?
Anyway, looks like a constructive discussion with you is not possible, you are biased with your russophobia. Though nowadays the UK is a much weaker military power than Russia, I have a great respect to the UK including all people in the military aviation whom I knew and know.
Discussion on this topic in the military thread is even more constructive.

PersonFromPorlock:
It has been clearly explained by the Russian pilots that they did not listen to 121.5 MHz because it is an emergency channel for them and there was no state of emergency, and they were busy with the operation. They were using the "main" channel/frequency to communicate with the planes and ground. And there was no reason for them to switch to 121.5 because they did not cross the border. In the latest interview the survived flight navigator (or a weapon operator) of that Su-24M said that the visibility was great, he saw everything visually, he knew the landscape perfectly well and could even navigate in that area without a map. And he says they did not cross the border. Whatever the Turkish officials draw on the map, the Russians draw a little bit different curves. Who might be the judge? Nobody. Especially as there might be the "tricks" like the one addressed above when the Turkish unilaterally removed the border (see the URL in the post ofG-CPTN).