PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F16 shoots down unidentified aircraft in their airspace.
Old 25th Nov 2015, 15:47
stiglet

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It surprised me how quickly the NATO response was that they standby Turkey. How much information had they received from Russia by then and how much time and effort was put into considering the situation before making that statement? Especially in view of the debate from all quarters.

Turkey and Russia are not at war so why so much haste to shoot the aircraft down? They say oral warnings were given but did they give or were they required to give any 'warning shots across the bows' of the Russian aircraft before they fired.

To me it appears a misjudged, extremely stupid over reaction by Turkey and inexcusible. Turkey was never threatened, neither was the Turkish aircraft, the incursion was very minor even if it was deliberate and the Russian aircraft was downed whilst leaving Turkish airspace which equates to being shot in the back!

One way or another Turkey will suffer heavily for this. I fear Russia will punish them and they will become personna non grata as far as the rest of the world are concerned. They are trying to become closer to Europe; this will not do that cause any favours at all.

Turkey are flexing their muscles but I think they are mistaken in thinking that their importance in the region will protect them from criticism.

Let us all hope for a measured response to this situation.