PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F16 shoots down unidentified aircraft in their airspace.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 22:21
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Yankee Whisky
Makes absolutely no sense as does the Russian reply. They are both experts in the practice of lies.............................
A few points:

Erdogan like Putin has to put on a strong front. He's got his pride too. If he felt that the Russian play was screwing the Turkish play -- in Syria -- the "what are you gonna do about it" issue becomes political for him eventually.

For anyone in doubt, the chances that the Turkish F-16 engaged without considerable radio contact with his controllers on the ground is remote.

This means that there is probably an audit trail of orders from Ankara to whatever fighter wing is patrolling southern Turkey that defines some engagement criteria and some RoE. The Turks have been in NATO long enough to know how to do that sort of thing. That audit trail most likely classified Secret or something like it.

What happened after that plane got shot down .... Then again, given who these people are, any surprise?

I suspect that the Sixth Fleet is on alert and heading for the coast of Syria. It's 1982/1984 all over again, a few miles north. Back then, it was ing Lebanon.

Question for PPRuNe: what does all this do to flights into Istanbul?

Less important question for PPRuNe: the missus is thinking of us visiting the Holy Land with a group in our church, in August. I need to make the decision soon. Flight is Houston to Istanbul, then to Tel Aviv. I had my doubts before, as I've been to Israel and am not all that enthusiastic to go back. Got other places I haven't been.

The ripple effect of this will take a week or two to play out, but the longer term issues are beginning to concern me.