PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F16 shoots down unidentified aircraft in their airspace.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 15:55
Andy_S

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PashaF
You don't understand Andy.
Actually, I believe it is you who doesn’t understand.

I don’t know how serious your suggestion of dropping Manpads to the Kurds was, but do you really believe the world will just look the other way? Such provocations are never just one way. Even a more conventional military response by Russia will have consequences, definitely economically, probably military as well.

The more sensible of us recognise that escalating this incident will have unpleasant consequences for both sides. I hope and believe that wiser counsel will prevail, and that whatever is said for public consumption, behind the scenes the situation is being diffused.

Originally Posted by silvertate
Turkey is not exactly strategically important. .....Turkey is a NATO member, but always on the fringe. I cannot see NATO comming to the aid of Turkey, especially when they were responsible for the problem in the first place.
I would say that Turkeys geographical position, on Russia's southern flank, the Mediterrainean coast and adjacent to the Middle East is highly strategic.

Turkey responsible for the problem in the first place? Perhaps you missed the bit where Russia compromised Turkeyish airspace (not for the first time). NATO are obliged by treaty to come to the aid of Turkey if requested. (Quite what form that would take is another matter).