PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F16 shoots down unidentified aircraft in their airspace.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 10:41
Kitiara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/571040-turkish-f16-shoots-down-unidentified-aircraft-their-airspace-2.html#post9190131

If you google maps Yamadi, Latakia (the closest thing to the site apparently) it's right on the border with Turkey. Turkey's border is anything but a straight line down there though.

It's probably close enough to the border that we can't tell from the crash location which airspace it was in when it got hit.

Meanwhile, Russian media actively discussing the possibility of the plane coming down from a MANPAD while Turkey has been saying it did it all along
Fair enough. All I'd seen when I posted was Latakia. Given this, anything could be true about where the plane was during the flight prior to the shoot down and unfortunately it's near impossible to trust statements on that point made by anyone involved.

In political terms though, the truth is less important than the ability of the various participants to dictate the narrative.

My personal opinion is that Putin will mostly take this one on the chin, and not react in a way likely to escalate a confrontation with the forces of NATO countries.