PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bring Back the Examiners of Airmen
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2003, 18:04
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
They Don't Make Them Anymore!

Agree with a lot of what's been posted, and tend to agree that 'standards' might be improved by the return of examiners.

Like OzExpat, i have some good memories of Examiners. The day I did my CPL in 1965 with Tom Drury ex Brisbane, we got delayed and returned after 5pm. It was a Friday, and I was due to catch the DC6B to Port Moresby over the weekend. "No problems" said Tom - he opened the office, and on the spot fixed up the paperwork. I arrived in PY with said fresh new licence, and picked up work on a C185 within the week. He also handed down a few tips on staying alive up there - had also flown there himself. Have never forgotten that single act of generosity.

My other good experiences have been with the former Chief Examiner in Perth, going way back to 1970. I won't name him here, but he was flying and instructing about the year WW2 started. In my opinion, he taught you a lot on every test or surveillance. If you were competent - he would try to polish your technique with very positive comment. I can't ever remember a negative remark.

That's not to say that the ATO system is failing - at least I don't see it as such. It would be comforting to know that the 'testers' didn't depend in any way on the 'trainers', but in this world, that's a bit of Utopian thinking.

cheers,