PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bring Back the Examiners of Airmen
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2003, 17:20
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have many memories of Examiners of Airmen in the old DCA, in NSW Region. The chief at the time was one Russ Evans, who I was privileged to know - and even more privileged to have had as the Examiner on my initial instructor rating at Mudgee. Besides having bags of experience, I found him always to be a perfect gentleman and always approachable when I had a problem.

I was one of the lucky ones who survived a NVMC flight test with good ol' "come again Col"! He and I renewed our acquaintence later in my career, when I instructed at what was then known as ASBK.

You could debate PofF or anything else with all the longer-time Examiners at BK, in heated exchanges during working hours, and still share a beer with them at days' end. I know that many others do not share my experience of them, but they were good at keeping me at the top of me game.

Indeed, I recall visiting them to say farewell, when I was about to go to PNG, back in 84. Col was one of many to give me sound advice about the place and I'll never forget them for that. So, yes, I believe the industry needs blokes like that, so I'd be happy to sign a petition, if I thought it would help.

Unfortunately, I suspect that CASA is now too far down its' current track to be able to reinstate those positions. More's the pity.