PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2015, 19:23
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awqward
Hi Chronus, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that he got his FAA IR without doing the required training...you make it read like it was in the back page of the owner's manual!....In fact during the 80s after a spate of accidents the FAA investigated and basically exonerated the aircraft and recommended type specific training (but fell short of mandating it). In any case, as is often the case, the insurance industry made sure that minimum hours and minimum recurrency training be undertaken by pilots..... You can't realistically just get in one of these aircraft and fly it...especially in Europe where insurance is a legal requirement.....

Have a read of this if you're interested: http://www.mmopa.com/gallery/234_Tra...A46_Pilots.pdf
But of course not, don`t know what it entailed, must have done some kind of training. I was rather more curious to elicit some response to my earlier:

" I have always wondered as to why the FAA PPL/IR and a N reg is such an attractive proposition for private flying in the UK and the near Continent. Given that costs would not be expected to be of any significant consequence to a businessman who can afford to buy a sophisticated aircraft and will use it over this side of the pond, and as they say "in anger", why not go for a UK IR. Would it not be better."

Back in the old days when a whole lot of poverty stricken self improver CPL hours builders went States side, staying in sleezy motels, there were also a bunch of PPL`s who could not hack the UK IR who also took themselves over there for a few weeks lapping up the sunshine in five star hotels.