PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jacobson Flare
Thread: Jacobson Flare
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2015, 13:33
glekichi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry Mach E, it's half tongue in cheek but I do find it interesting that you say look where you want to go, which I honestly believe works, like you, from a mix of aeroplane and motorcycle experience.
Thing is, to flare, you can't be looking at where the aircraft was going a moment before. The mains, assuming we are talking about tricycle aircraft, are going to be some way behind you, as should be your aiming point, at the moment of touch down. Should they not?
If one keeps a constant flight path towards an aiming point and keeps going where they're looking and that does not change for the flare, there is no flare, which would then equal a carrier arrival, although, like you I have no experience post Top Gun and for all I know there could even be a little flare involved in those too but lets not let the truth get in the way of an attempt at a good story.
Ive done my share of bush flying too but it's the number of transport category multi crew aircraft pilots that have average crosswind technique to which I refer. Seems to be an inability to see/read the aircraft trajectory well and very much related to where they're looking.