PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2015, 10:49
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC

The low visibility training is more directed at large airports where taxi collisions are possible rather than the runway takeoff. The last thing you want is an aircraft turning up the wrong taxiway or crossing an active runway because they are lost
OCAS i do not think there is a stipulated minima.

obviously departure and arrival minima are different and any fog departure will mean that you are not coming back so a close alternative is a must. Or again you gamble?

In a single its like flying on a dark night its Russian roulette. In a light twin it is also to a certain lesser extent Russian roulette but the majority of light singles will happily fly level on one if you have the altitude when it goes bang

But then many single engine turboprops TBMs PC12s do play that game at night over water, over very low cloud etc and this has been a long held argument over the safety of single engine in bad weather, many quoting statistics especially with single turboprops.
Even when your departure and arrival are clear what happens enroute when the cloud is down to 100 feet below you when you are happily sitting in the sunshine above?

There is a night rating which legally allows you to fly a single cross country on a black night even without an instrument rating for me that is equally crazy, Russian Roulette and making a risk judgement you have no right to make for unknowing PAX yet that is approved by the authorities

It all comes down to risk management and what level of risk you are prepared to take and that is about knowing and respecting your own limits as well as the aircraft you are flying as well as realising that you are making risk decisions for other precious cargo in the back and not just for yourself

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 20th Nov 2015 at 11:32.