PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I really don't think this forum works
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2015, 01:37
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
The pilots of "a mind to review and discuss accidents" are coming here...it is one who are not of that mind that we should be worried about.
The pilots who are not drawn to a discussion and learning opportunity about accidents, and will not come to this forum, are probably not so likely to spend much time learning from sporadic accident discussions in PF either. I find that "learning minded" pilots will go where they need to to get the information, because they are curious. This forum is not far from PF, and not too far to be found, by those looking....

My hope with this forum would be that a gathering of otherwise scattered events and discussion would broaden the interest in safe flying wisdom, as more information is "in your face" so to speak. Flying, even the nice bimble around on a calm evening, has a deadly serious side, which we sometimes overlook. The PF forum, for all of its many attributes can dilute that serious side in all the nice chatter, which is not not wrong, it's just the way it is, but the serious message can be camouflaged.

My hope is that when members come to the A&CC forum, they are "ready" to learn, and think safety, without the distractions of thinking about bimble. As the forum gets to be known, it I would hope it becomes the entry point to these discussions, and let PF be the "sheer pleasure of flight" place.

An accident is rarely the result of just one causal factor. There can be a lot of crossover of factors, so the prime factor in one accident can be secondary to another, but the more we recognize the prime factors (and there are many), the more we might be reminded that what we could think is a minor factor, was actually major for someone else, and we should think more about it!

ANY discussion here about how to make this a more effective forum is appreciated. Any discussion about how to present pilots with more safety information is important. I hope that these two grow together, though I'm considering all the comments objectively....