PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2015, 22:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMagister

When I was getting my multiengine piston many moons ago my instructor had to take a Baron 55 up north to Scotland. He offered to let me left seat the trip for the experience. We landed in Inverness and departed again south at night in Horrendous weather and straight into snow blizzards

When we lined up ATC announced that they wanted it recorded that they did not approve of this departure as apart from the snow blizzards there was severe low level turbulence in the forecast.

Rather than taxi back he calmly announced we were departing and overruled the warning. We took off and the snow was so heavy you could not look forward but only at the panel as the swirling snow was so intense and the turbulence was severe.
To look out ahead was completely disorientating

It was such a relief breaking out near Glasgow and seeing a mass of twinkling city lights below.
I am not sure whether you can stop a takeoff ? He was a very cool relaxed pilot as comfortable in the air as on the ground and we survived so another notch on the experience belt. I do remember clearly thinking if we lost an engine that there was no way you could hold it all together in that turbulence

Pace