PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jacobson Flare
Thread: Jacobson Flare
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2015, 05:25
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I bought the Jacobsen Flare article some years ago and it helped me improve my landings at the time - especially the "flying to the end of the runway" instruction. I had earlier had very effective help from an instructor regarding eye usage in the form of a A4 bit of paper and four globs of blue tack over the instruments to keep e looking outside. The aim point/airspeed mantra on approach. followed by flying to the horizon seems to work for me even in a crosswind. The time to flare? I learn that by braille

From my own experience landing is about muscle memory and sight picture. On a good day for me, everything is nice and smooth. A bad day, not so much. I have yet to determine exactly what critical personal judgements are stuffing up my landings or making them acceptable and I think my only hope is practice, practice, practice.

In a yacht, I can open a can for someone, scratch my ear and have a conversation while standing backward steering with my bum when docking in 30 knots without cracking the proverbial egg because Ive been doing it for Sixty years. I hope to attain similar capability in an aircraft one day like some of the posters here.