PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Contract Compliance
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2015, 10:36
giggerty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True enough AnotherBD.

However I believe some of the benefits KA now receive were negotiated away by CX pilots many years ago. I could be wrong but I believe the travel fund and the compulsory 13 month bonus went back in the 90s. That is why CX pilots get a substantially higher basic monthly pay compared to KA drivers. Those items were abolished at CX in exchange for a higher basic wage where as KA pilots retained them. The travel fund used to be a pain in the butt as you had to submit receipts for everything. I can see why CX pilots got rid of it. However it changed to a cash payment for us several years ago to cut down on all the admin. We get a cash payment once a year based on your home domicile, you get a higher monthly wage.

While we are on a bit of history. Just for the benefit of ACMS. Swire bought a 25% stake in KA not long after its inception. They converted this to full ownership in 2006. Prior to the 2006 KA was doing well with plans for 100 aircraft by 2015 and international long haul. Sydney was supposed to be the first destination IN 2005. The CX purchase put an end to those plans and the KA fleet was reduced by 30% with aircraft either being taken by CX or sold. Commands ground to a halt for 5 years. HKA stepped into the void and started their long haul. I'm not sure if CX rescued KA as more tamed a potential rival, plus gained a massive amount of goodwill and on carriage from China travellers. ( made sense really)

To correct some other misconceptions ( eyes only). The KA freighter captains who came over to CX came in as captains. Bottom of the seniority yes, but captains non the less. Our old GMO who was the main reason for our last bout of CC is still a LHR based Captain with CX now. They also kept their DOJ with KA as the basis for their staff travel seniority.

There are many issues that KA have been stone walling. A workable RPA, proper medical and a liveable housing allowance for the standard contract to name a few. The staff travel debacle is the tipping point. Plus the last below inflation pay rises were sugar coated with the promise of improved staff travel.

The question for the KA pilots is. What's our response if we have been strung along for 2 years on a promise and then kicked in the teeth? I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be.