PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Aeronautical Decision Making tool does your airline use?
Old 26th Oct 2015, 14:15
BugSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threat and Error Management

Hi P216,

Perhaps the bigger issue here is that TEM is very difficult to achieve without a structured, company recognised decision making process.

I definitely agree that certain frameworks have the potential to limit thought processes and that is a bad thing, however, in a dynamic environment it is essential that however you make decisions contains the following elements:

Logic
Risk Assessment
Options
Review

All of the tools out there incorporate those elements and some expand them. My own company's tool is TDODAR (as was my previous company).

Tying this into TEM, NASA ackowledged in the 1970's that threats and errors result in undesired aircraft states. These states cause crashes and it needed to be sorted out. It has taken the best part of 40 years and 5 iterations of CRM before most airlines have been in a position to be anywhere near to effective TEM.

TEM has not (nor will it ever) replace CRM, it is another layer of safety in its own rite. Fundamental to TEM though is making a safe decision on how to manage the risks; that cant be achieved without a structured decision making tool that all protagonists are familiar with.

TEM really is important and I know that my own decision making process has changed as a result of TEM becoming mainstream. On more than one occasion at the review stage, threat and error analysis has made an already safe decision that much safer.

From my experience as both a CRMI and a Line Trainer, although the frameworks are there and laid down, they do not hinder effective decision making. Once the crew have had the pro's and con's of their use explained, they are able to adapt them and work with them in order to do what they are there for: enable a SAFE decision to be made.

Hope this helps.

BS