PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 40hr PPL!?
Thread: 40hr PPL!?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2003, 02:14
Flying Boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-Skid

I did the old UK CAA PPL & had to do an extra hour & a bit (hour building) to get up to the 40 hours before I could send all the paperwork off to get my PPL.

I'm not sure what 'unrestricted' means by FO C, but I had no restrictions to fly as long as I flew according to VFR rules.

Then I did an IMC rating, a 15 hour partial instrument rating (UK only), not allowed until after 10 hours flying, after qualifying.

Then I did a night rating.

Now a UK JAR PPL is 45 hours. More radio nav flying, I did none on my PPL.

After passing all the writtens, 8 for a CPL but now most people do the ATPLs 14, then a CPL course of 25 hours, then the CPL test.

To get a full Instrument rating you must pass several written exams (the same instrument exams as the ATPL students, for a PPL IR) before doing a 55 hour course, completed by a flying test. The instrument rating is a toughy but passable if you are up to standard.

I think it may be a simple case of those that are capable of passing the exams & tests in the minimum time required are skylords, the rest just need to work a bit harder, but it eventually comes.

I thought the only sheite pilots were in Iraq, Iran & nearby Arab states. (Sorry Shi-ite)

Good Luck with your continued training.

FB