PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP not at the table in SAR Pilot Award ??
Old 25th Oct 2015, 05:10
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
New jets, decent crew bases, plenty of time to pursue other interests......most turboprop drivers and half the light corporate jet jockeys in the country will be falling over themselves for these jobs. I suspect prurient interest here on Pprune from pilots who know they have a snowball's chance in hell, hence the sour grapes comments.

If I was 20 years younger I would be putting up my hand for one of these gigs. It would be great to be paid while working on the yacht.....or for those so inclined, to restore motorbikes, renovate old houses, farm chooks, whatever. $133k for maybe 300 hours a year and standby at home with 8 years guaranteed income - pick me, pick me! For anyone over 40 recently out of the RAAF and/or who is not already in an airline job, what's not to like about that unless you really have no life but flying? Or a mortgage that, knowing you are a pilot, your bank should have never advanced to you in the first place.

While the training will probably be quite demanding, the job itself won't be particularly hard yakka. There will be the usual bull**** factor that is built in to most para military operations, but Cobham know how to select pilots with the right tolerance for that. On second thoughts, I would have never been a suitable candidate.

Cobham already have form running this type of operation here and overseas, so they know exactly where they need to set the bar to get the people they want. No higher, no lower.