PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP not at the table in SAR Pilot Award ??
Old 24th Oct 2015, 06:14
pithblot

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Green fields

I stand to be corrected on any of this.....

rmcdonal
I suppose it depends how 'green fields' is defined. I don't think it's relevant, considering Cobhams is actively involved in a great deal of Australian aviation and has an on going relationship with the AFAP through its various workplace agreements. I followed the links from the AFAP web site, to Cobhams and on to the Be Found application page. The application for the SAR Pilot positions was titled SAPL (Surveillance Australia Party Limited) - which makes it difficult for me to see that there is not a relationship between Cobham SAR Services and Pilots through Cobhams and the AFAP. (BTW I didn't apply.)

If there is no relationship then Cobhams could
simply write their own (agreement) and present it to the pilots that they then employ
Normally this would be fine. When the pilots realised they were getting a ****e deal, they could join the AFAP. With sufficient members in the Pilot workforce, the AFAP gets a toe-in and a seat at the next EBA. Not so in this case because the new agreement lumps Pilots together with the three crew down the back.
Pilots represent only two out of five Aircrew, just 40% of the workforce, so in a ballot they are unlikely to get the numbers required to force AFAP representation.

Looks like there will be a bunch of Piss Poorly Paid Pilots, totally under the thumb of Cobhams, with no prospect of IR support and industry expertise that the AFAP provides.