PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 40hr PPL!?
Thread: 40hr PPL!?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 22:49
FO Cokebottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ignorance is Bliss

Hey A-S,

As far as I am aware (it has been some time since I reviewed CAOs) the only mandatory requirement for a unrestricted PPL, after completion of restricted PPL (now GFPT) was 5 hours solo cross country navigation.

It is not unreasonable to have a "switched on" and "motivated" student complete his GFPT in @ 35 - 38 hours. Now, if you were a boy scout or orientier in your childhood and impressed your instructor on your first nav ride he might let you go off on your 2 hour and 3 hour solo navs. Of course there is the PPL flight test after this (about 1.5 - 2 hours).

At the end of the day, a Unrestricted PPL is very achievable in @ 48 - 50 hours.

As for the IFR rating - you can get that anytime after the issue of an Unrestricted PPL provided you meet the night hour experience requirements (essentially a NGT VFR rating - 10 hours minimum).

IFR ratings (multi and single engine) are not the sole pervay of commercial pilots.

As for sheite pilots - there arn't any. Just those who assimulate instruction very well and those who can not remember what day it was yesterday - GET MY DRIFT.

Good luck