PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex AN pilots now in QF - the cancer within
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 22:38
longjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fartsock - I think you may be confusing seniority with qualifications, experience and ability.

Irrespective of the ex Ansett drivers QF seniority, their logbooks still reflect their REAL experience. The fact that their positions as back seat drivers does not reflect this is a matter of seniority, not qualifications, experience or ability.

If QF are availing themselves of this experience in positions outside the seniority system, and these guys are the best men for the job then what are you complaining about?

Are you seriously suggesting that a less qualified and experienced person should get the job simply because he is more senior? If so why?

Perhaps QF should promote new cadets to TFO's because they 'outrank' others. Are you seriously advocating this.

I believe that QF pilots take themselves a bit too seriously in terms of the relevance of rank. It would seem to me that if Chuck Yaeger joined Qantas tomorrow he would still be looked down on by all and sundry because he was 'junior'.

Wake up call, when your airline goes broke or turfs you out, what meaning does seniority have?

Incidentally, you may also like to consider that QF has benefitted from the experience of pilots from many other backgrounds apart from Ansett, such as the RAAF, Cathay and other airlines, many of whom are in Qantas for the job and the lifestyle, not to be treated in a demeaing manner by 'fartsocks' with inferiority complexes who cling to seniority as their only means of assertion.