PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2015, 09:51
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People have previously asked how the R22 accident statistics in its early years compare to the G2. I'm more curious how they compare since the G2 came into being. I suspect the R22 accident rate in recent times is considerably lower, although sadly there have been fatalities. However, I do not think you can conclude that this is due to the design capabilities of the machines themselves, but more the fact that the R22 has a vastly higher number of flying hours under its belt, and a lot more investigation has taken place into its weaknesses of operation. These weaknesses have been well incorporated into pilot training. I suspect we still have a lot more to learn about the G2 and what is causing these accidents. Clearly there are a lot of pilots who are not flying the things as they need to be flown.

It is almost as if people are keen to throw the things around an awful lot more than they would an R22, simply because they can - but then they are finding actually, maybe they cannot because they're not quite experienced enough yet? Complacency of a sort maybe? ie people are doing things beyond their experience levels, or perhaps aren't concentrating as much as they would in an R22, and the G2 is biting them?

My gut feeling is that once people start to respect these machines, and recognise that they are not quite so simple to fly - demanding as much respect and concentration as an R22, the accident rate will plummet.