PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Aeronautical Decision Making tool does your airline use?
Old 19th Oct 2015, 16:35
Pander216

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mnemonics are most valuable during training in developing decision making skills and then enhancing the skill with continual use so that the process approaches subconscious thinking.
I agree. However my current company does not see an/the added value of mnemonics. The don't want to limit crew with using a single tool. They want to leave them free in how they find their decision. However, even senior training management has never heard of FORDEC, DODAR or DECIDE. So how can you make that judgement I ask myself.

Instead they focus on Threat and Error Management and think that is sufficient. However I think TEM and ADM belong together since they create a better Situational Awareness. Mnemonics are merely a tool, not a goal.

I think the lack of knowledge limits my company in investigating a better approach to ADM. As a TRI I see quite a few crews making wrong decisions during complex situations and under stress. Management has recognized that and now spent 10 (!) minutes during the briefing of a simulator session on Aeronautical Decision Making and present it more or less as a gimmick. Not even giving the TRI's background knowledge. Crews therefore do not see the added value.

I think mnemonics need to be part of the training culture. Like a few of you mention, the mnemonic itself is not important but the steps that lead you to a decision are.