PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BCFT ATPL - is this dream making me stupid / chances of employment
Old 15th Oct 2015, 10:59
beardedclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. Before I get slated, yes I trained the modular route. Right. I would NOT go to a small(ish) school / modular route. I qualified in 2008, and only landed my first job this past January. Between 2008 and 2015 I saw countless CTC and Oxford people go straight to Jets, both the FR right hand seat, and countless airlines. With less than 200 hours. Hours won't be your issue. Contacts, deals between airlines and training providers, and a type-rating will be the issue. I can honestly say, now that I am flying, that if I could go back in time I would NOT do it again.

The incidental costs of food, accommodation, petrol, lost earnings due time off work, exam fees, partial re-tests, licence issue, IR renewals after 12 months, type rating renewals after job hunting..... Well they are eye watering. I could have been mortgage free by now. I am mortgage free, because I am STILL renting. And as my airline employs me part-time, summer only (permanent) I cannot qualify for a mortgage. Yes, you read correctly. As an employed Airbus F/O, I earn too LITTLE to get a mortgage.

Final thought: ask as many pilots as possible if they would recommend the career to their children. Prepare to be surprised.