PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2 In a SEP
Thread: P2 In a SEP
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2015, 00:00
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3. As the aircraft are certified SP/IFR there are no such procedures available, ergo the only way they can be done is to write them and submit them to the authority.

Doubtless others know more than me, but that has been my experience, and writing the procedures and getting them accepted took quite a while.
The 172 and that class of SEP aircraft do not require, and cannot be practically be made to require a crew of two pilots - other than for training.

Yes, one might apply to the authority for specific approved operations, but the authority will not expend time nor effort considering and issuing approvals for which a real world need has been demonstrated. As I mentioned before, for operations within the limitations of a 172 or similar SEP aircraft, what would the second pilot do? "Please find the approach plate for XXX, and tune the frequencies..." does not constitute enough "piloting" that a second pilot should log flying time for it.

If the civil aviation authority that governs a specific operation requires two crew members on the flight deck for that operation the P2 would be entitled to log those hours, regardless of the number of engines and the hydrocarbon utilised or whether its a fixed or rotor wing aircraft.
Entirely agreed, but I struggle to imagine what those would be in the vast majority of SEP GA aircraft.

SEP and P2 are not mutually exclusive propositions, they co-exist under some circumstances.
Could you present any examples?

In Canada, the rule reads:

Minimum Flight Crew of 2 Requirement

The type certificate determines if an aircraft is to be operated with a minimum flight crew of 2. For example, large Boeing Aeroplanes (B737, 747, 757, etc.) are designated as minimum flight crew of 2 on the type certificate. Guidance material regarding minimum crew requirement is found in Section 421.40 of the CARs - Appendix A Aircraft Type Designators. This chart is a guide only and, in the event of a discrepancy, the appropriate Aircraft Type Approval, Aircraft Type Certificate, Flight Permit, Aircraft Flight Manual or Pilot's Operating Manual take precedence.
In the referenced list, there is no propeller powered Cessna or Beechcraft, no Piper whatever, and no other light common SEP aircraft. Thus, in Canada there is no entitlement to log P2 time in those aircraft, unless the operation requires it, and operations which could conceivably require it in Canada would require a turbine type, so SEP would be out anyway....