PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Eagle CRJ900 scrapes wing on landing
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 16:44
silvertate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FCOM recommended crosswind landing technique changed a couple of years ago to the forward slip method:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Boeing
The maneuver recommended for crosswind landing requires cross-controlling, using the rudder to align the airplane fuselage with the runway, and aileron input sufficient to arrest crosswind-induced drift.

Below approximately 200 feet AGL, gradually apply rudder so as to align the longitudinal axis (heading) of the airplane with the runway centerline.
Interesting. Personally, I don't like the Chinese crosswind method (Whun Wing Lo). I was taught this and can do it, but in gusty conditions you can get confused as to what is roll to counteract yaw and what is roll to counteract turbulence. I find that students get equally confused.

Best to leave the crab until the last 20 ft, kick straight and counterbalance with roll. It is simple, better for the tyres, better for the undercarriage, more comfortable for the pax, and is less likely to end in a skid. I have seen odd reactions to the instant yaw caused by ploking it on with full crab, resulting in PIO peddling, which is not recommended.

And with regards to ground clearance, I have banked the 737 to enormous angles, and never hit anything. What feels like a huge angle of bank, is not really that bad if you look from the outside. Doubt if you will ever get much beyond 5o, without feeling seasick.

Oh, and yes, I have mentioned this for at least two decades. I was taught to land in a variety of very difficult tail-draggers of all types and sizes, and so my landing technique was honed quite well. And I was somewhat shocked to find in jet aviation that x-wind landing was the last and least important box to tick.