PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHFNI Stories!
Thread: SHFNI Stories!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 22:30
klingonbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wessex Hc 2 Model

This model looks pretty damn good. If I may add some more observations. As TB has elluded - none of 72 Sqn's aircraft had floatation gear except for the single ex- SAR cab (I think it was either S or O - must check m'logbook) used for the V813 Stby SAR role and that aircraft never had the AAR47 MAWS. I think the SH Wessex had only one vertical aerial on the nose (Cougar 2 I think) whereas the SAR cab had those 2 for another type of radio fit. The nightsun tripod had a box at the end sitting above the actual searchlight. The oleo leg needs a folding step about half way up. That was really useful getting in and out with the Nightsun fitted and helped you avoid stepping on the TIWAS Refueller's head as he struggled to do the refuel through the nightsun mount after shutdown! An M130 flare dispenser (although rarely fitted in NI) would be to the bottom rear of the cabin door. And as for the cockpit armour, the titanium fold down plate needed a rubber stop on the side of the aircraft to stop it damaging the airframe. Unless the nightsun was fitted then it rested on the upper nightsun arm. Sorry, this kind of memory detail only comes from a sad old git's long career flying such a "Fine Girl." Loved flying her and operating with the best crewmen and fellow front seaters over many long years. Now only memories. I'll see if I can recall some more to keep this thread going. How about 72 Sqn's SAR exploits - in the 1980s we rescued more people in one day than the whole of the SAR force had in the year! Next time maybe - but I may need some help recalling the detail.
KBC