PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The dramatic A380 landing
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2015, 14:20
Monarch Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice one Harold
MM

Maybe he was trying to be subtle, rather than directly point out your nose was actually over the grass! And for the record, a TRI and SFI are different.
You got to love it when line guys don't even know who's doing their teaching!

Harry
Play the man and not the ball eh? Given that YOU weren't there, I'll assume your comment is based on ignorance, otherwise I'll make an assumption just like you have, you are speaking out of your rectum and what spouts forth is bovine manure.

Jebus, I'm struggling to make sense of your comments given that I am very serious in that to make sure the mains touch down on the centreline whilst crabbed, you must, given a couple of geometric certainties offset the nose of the aircraft upwind to ensure that this happens. What have I missed? The instructor or TRI/SFI etc, was not only ignorant of this reality, he went as far as to suggest that this was an incorrect technique. My point to him was the exact opposite and I mentioned that his opinion/technique/personal preference/feeling in his bones was mistaken.
What you describe with respect to maintaining the centreline is the technique for de crabbing in the flare and tracking the centreline with a combination of aileron and rudder inputs. A forward slip approach tends to make the poor punters in the back sick which is why I haven't practised it in anything other than the 777F.
It's not about poor piloting technique, it's what's appropriate for the conditions.
It's not that hard if it's taught properly by people that actually have a clue about what they are doing, which brings me back to my original point.