PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 77W at MIA
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2015, 08:06
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
It has been discussed that more technical safety nets leads to possible complacency and lack of gross error checks.
It really is a difficult dilemma to solve.
The XAA's need to assess what has changed in the last decade and re evaluate the training required and also the time required. As an example, I get on average four emails a day from my company, normally three of them are propaganda that I can safely delete, but one of them requires me to think about how I operate. I get the emails at all times of the day including public holidays and days off yet I get zero time allocated to read and assess the information. Most of the time I manage to allocate personal time to do this but every now and then when home life requires my full attention I arrive at work with a less than ideal understanding of changes that have taken place. The XAA's need to say to the Airlines " We know it is easy for you to fire off changes in operational circumstances to your pilots via digital means, but there is a price to pay, you must bring all of your pilots into work for a day every three months to check their understanding of the information you have promulgated."
At my Airline we have had major changes to performance requirements that were promulgated via email and many of my colleagues are unsure of what their legal obligations are. The appropriate safety forms have been filed which results in more emails. The digital age is a threat in itself.