PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 77W at MIA
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2015, 21:26
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirBubba.

The runway change scenario continues to be a high threat situation in my view. New speeds, new numbers, change it in the box, reselect a departure, reset the heading bugs, recheck the NOTAMS, update the ACARS etc. all while either taxiing or sitting still with an impatient controller and ten planes behind you if you've already left the ramp.
Very true. Some airports in the Far East (BKK, PEK, et al) used to be notorious for runway change after pushback; it was my habit to do performance calcs etc and brief for both runways in the pre flight.

Some of our US friends had the same inclination. But with multiple unfamiliar runways/taxi patterns (to we the infrequent visitors) at some of these places, it could be quite a challenge after pushback. I had no hesitation in setting park brake while we did EFB performance, reprogrammed FMC, reset MCP etc etc and rebriefed taxi routes. Not too popular sometimes with ATC, but better safe than sorry.

I will admit though that things had improved worldwide quite a lot recently before I hung up the old headset.