PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 77W at MIA
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2015, 00:32
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intersection takeoffs

RAT 5: good posts, but......

This would suggest the crew requested T1. It would not be for ATC to offer it. I wonder if anyone in ATC thought, "that's odd, they've never done that before." It's not for ATC to 2nd guess the crew. It would have been unusual for ATC to ask, "are you sure about T1." but it might have closed the holes, except the crew might have said, "yes."

Not at all sure that was the case. At my airport, you hardly ever hear a crew asking for an intersection takeoff; 95% of the time it's ATC asking "can you accept an intersection X takeoff?" followed by "we'll run the numbers and let you know". Besides, why would a heavy like a 773 going all the way to Doha want an intesection takeoff? That does not sound right to me.

Again, at my airport (KLAS which is hot and high - 2200'AMSL) the daily KAL 773 always takes the LONGEST runway and sometimes even the OPPOSITE direction (which is slightly downhill) taking sometimes an hour delay in doing this while ATC traffic management clear the airspace. Nothing in my previous life as a pilot rated on a half dozen Boeings and one Airbus and 4+ years airport operations experience working with ATC, would make sense for this type of departure.

Having said as much, I have to wonder if ATC did not think it unusual. Did this flight/aircraft type previously takeoff from T1?

I think there might be more to the story and certainly the nomenclature T1 and #T1 needs to be looked at closely. That, to me, sounds like a big no-no but I can only speak from an Airbus EFB, not Boeing......