PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 77W at MIA
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2015, 18:28
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When they press the tab RUNWAY for the calculation from the EFB they show this " 09#T1 ". They deemed that was the performance from the intersection T1. This symbol " #T1 " means temporary runway. It is just a NOTAM for the runway 09. The symbol for the performance from intersection if would existed should be " 09/T1 " with " / " not with " # ". From runway 09 for the 777 there is no any intersection performance . They confused with the symbols.
As has been mentioned and I alluded to. I would put money on this being confusion between T1 and #T1.
T1 = temporary runway in the OPT

Amazing. The provider of this EFB probably had a committee deciding what codings to use for what situation. How does anyone come up with T1 = temporary? What has '1' got to do with it, or was this 'phase 1' of runway maintenance? Isn't "Temp" a better coding?
This is the legacy codebreaking stuff where the user interface is designed by engineers to 1960's IBM command line standards (back when people were cheap and computers were expensive).

Remember all the FMS route mods and 'you forgot to enter the leading zero on the 610 foot crossing restriction in the box'?

I've also ranted here before about the cryptic flight plan paperwork and the obscure NOTAM format suited to 1930's teleprinters.

We've come a long way in trapping errors and closing the holes in the cheese. However, we need to streamline the user interface more so these idiotic gotchas with the slant and hashtag (as the symbol is now called by some) never make it into the cockpit.

The Sky-God era where some folks bragged proudly about how complicated the departure and preflight procedures were and how they would never make the same mistake as a mishap crew is over, here in the U.S. at least. On the other hand, the era of playing video games on a phone while PF in metric RVSM airspace has arrived, I'm afraid.

The tablet EFB's are far from a mature product with their own quirks but adding more graphics to the interface sure helps me see when I'm looking at the wrong data.

Sunset at MIA on 15th was 19:25 with nautical Twilight @ 20:15.
Was it cloudy?
Scheduled departure time was 20:20.
Actual departure time was 20:37 - was it already dark?
I get the same numbers, actually, nautical twilight ended at 20:15 local so they were in astronomical twilight which is, for takeoff in an urban area, already quite dark. The sun would have been 16.8 degrees below the horizon at 20:37 EDT from what I see on Heavens-Above.