PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about flydubai???
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2015, 08:53
jetstreem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spot on

I agree with all of the above. 100% accurate.

If you're thinking of FZ, please read all of this VERY CAREFULLY. If you're coming as a stepping stone, it might be a good move (though if you want an upgrade it's a bit of a lottery, as said before). Be prepared to do a few years, then move on with jet experience, but maybe not LHS time. You might be lucky, you might not.

If you've got a family, be very aware of the cost of living per month. If you want a house with a garden (I know, crazy expectations here!), be prepared to pay all of your housing allowance and maybe more. If you're single, you'll be fine. Especially if you don't mind sharing with a friend.

If you're coming as a captain, you'll be at the bottom of a very long list for a VERY long time. Most people joining at the bottom can't take the levels of and fatigue for more than a few years before something has to change. If you're dreaming of commuting, dream on. You'll probably lose your family, sanity or health before long.

If however you're out of a job then its a great place to come! They pay you every month and don't really bother you when you're not on duty. (Apart from the odd condescending email asking why you took 3 kg too much fuel or pushed back a minute earlier than you're supposed to.)

Most people here always have one eye on the exit, and at the moment, with the market picking up elsewhere, quite a lot are heading in that direction. Quite a lot more are adopting a wait-and-see attitude, maybe for another few months or a year. But if nothing changes this year, (and I suspect it won't) with regards rosters/pay/fatigue/housing/transport/retirement (delete as appropriate) then the current outflow of people will continue. It will be very interesting to see in January how many pilots have flown the nest.