PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 16th Sep 2015, 06:23
CptWizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've definitely researched other possible routes in case things don't go so smoothly with SIA,

In no order of preference:

TigerAir, last opened cadetship in 2013 I think? Don't know when they'll open again, no rumors or dates floating around but since their A320neos are scheduled to arrive in 2018, minus 18 months, I think I can venture a guess that about mid of next year they'll be open again? Of course, got to note that their maximum age limit for cadets is 30 years old. As of right now, I am threading very precariously close to their age limit.

Jetstar Asia, last opened in Apr this year, no expansion plans whatsoever. And wow, I heard that they turned down an entire batch of cadets even though they passed their course, citing oversupply of pilots?? Planning issue? Or unexpected market downturn?

Scoot, last opened about 2 months ago which I unfortunately missed.. (It's always a good idea to follow the facebook page of the airline you want to sign up with LOL) Rumoured to open cadet intake again in.. Some say Dec, some say Jan next year, some say October which is just next month. I'll wait and see

If I still fail the interview cadetship for all 4 airlines, then time to truly stop everything, self reflect and see what is wrong with me lol

After reflecting, I still wanna pursue this dream without the safety net of an airline cadetship (although still no guarantees even with a cadetship, as in with the case with Jet Star Asia), I would go to one of these schools which is recognised by the CAAS.

CAAS website is currently down, but I remember they are (again, in no order of preference):

1. Singapore Flying College (SFC), Singapore and Perth
2. CAE Aviation Academy, Singapore and Melbourne
3. CTC Aviation, London, NZ or US (please correct me if I'm wrong)
4. STAA, Singapore and Perth

And IF going for all 4 interviews to enter the flight school and STILL get rejected (meaning fail 8 interviews in total), still got one last hope

1. Malaysia Flying Academy
2. Johor Flying Club
3. FRAS

And if the Malaysian schools also don't want me, NEVERMIND, still got 1 more last last last last hope. This one I know confirm won't get rejected one:

1. Pro Flight? Simulator Cockpit for PC | Saitek.com
2. Flight Experience Singapore Store | Flight Experience Singapore
3. SGFlight Simulations

This is the info I have gathered for myself so far. Of course in reading this thread which I am relatively new to, I learnt and read that you can be bush pilots, mountain pilots, ga pilots, flight instructors etc etc. For schools, there are modular training and all that, although I personally feel that going through the entire MPL program from day from one of the 4 schools would be better structured. I might have missed out other possible avenues?

But a lot of the ideas being brought in this thread dates wayy back to 2006, and back then the only way was the SIA way or no way. Now, we are lucky in the sense that if one door closes, there are still other doors to be knocked.

Last edited by CptWizard; 16th Sep 2015 at 06:39.