PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the good old days ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2003, 16:56
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to remain positive about aviation even for just an enthusiast like myself is a kind of duty in way - look on the bright side etc. However, you can tell things are now really going off the wall. Yesterday, we were seeing a relation off at Cork on her way back to Stansted and whilst hanging around a U. S. Navy Super King Air arrived. Very nice, says I to myself, very smart. Then we accompany our elderly relation to the security point at the boarding area. Hugs and kisses etc. The flight crew from the U. S. Navy Super King Air arrive at the same security point with cold plates bought from the restaurant and begin conversation with the young security official about what is next etc. Security official defers to a higher order so a real Airport Policeman dressed in what was like the Aer Lingus captain's uniform of about twenty years ago and the four gold bars to boot(!) arrives on scene and has quick words with the U. S. Navy crew and quickly accompanies them around the small queue of passengers to the scanner. Now, I lost sight momentarily of the goings on but then the next thing I see is colleagues of the younger security official ably frisking the U. S. Navy guys before allowing them to continue! I may be off the mark but as a military aircraft the Super King Air parked outside on the Cork ramp may well have some side arms at least stowed away for the crew's protection? The real gods of aviation now are airport security officers - some of them are even wearing Ray Bans! Loony, loony times all right.