PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the good old days ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2003, 14:42
Flying Bagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, for one, as a relative newcomer to this industry, would obviously be an optimist. Afterall, this is my lifelong dream, and not to mention that I left behind a very unsatisfactory career (which for some would also constitute a dream job), I have but no option to continue.

However, after choosing to leave my prior career, I realized that, perhaps, I've been misleading myself in terms of what I should expect from life. At the outset of that career, it was quite nice, and I was happy to work 80 hours a week, and drink for six. But then, it started to take it's toll on me, and with only two weeks of vacation per year (which I could never take anyway), I started becoming disillusioned and bitter. And this was after three promotions in less than half a decade.

It was quite disappointing to think that dreams like that can fade so easily, wane in the distance, because reality is never like what we envisioned it to be. Thought it was going to be glamourous, fantastic, and big money down the coffers. The truth, as a matter of fact, wasn't far off. At least 10% of the time anyway.

But then, I also came to the realization that, in this world, there is no such thing as a dream job anymore, and that almost every job has its compromises. Speaking to my friends, some of whom have been laid off since the tech bust, and others who work in menial accountancy and secretarial jobs, it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot out there. A close friend of mine who works at the monolith that is IBM is quite content with his job, but that's because he knows if he tried to quit, he would probably spend the rest of his life on the welfare line. For the most part, everyone prefers to be a rancher somewhere in Texas, or a ski bunny at Val d'Isere. As I look at my meagre savings in my pockets, those things are merely the pipe dreams of my own imagination.

So when it came to aviation, I look at all my junior colleagues, and revel in their enthusiasm. Afterall, flying an airplane sure beats sitting in a friggin office 12 hours a day.