PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hanscom G-IV Crash - NTSB probable cause
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2015, 02:53
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are asking that question on here as a Monday morning quarterback and with lots of hindsight & thinking time. They had seconds to make a decision. The question you ask would take a superior pilot to action & answer.
During my flying career, I looked at many difficult incidents that ended badly and asked myself, how could a better result be accomplished. I would hope that the rest of you are attempting to learn from others adversity and analyze possible solutions. This generally requires some detailed systems knowledge and curiosity.

No one is going to write a procedure for rotating an aircraft with locked controls so as to go flying. This aircraft was not supposed to be able to do that in the first place, the throttle was supposed to be limited with the controls locked. The flight crew was supposed to check for free controls before taking the runway, but crap happens. Maybe there would have been sufficient control motion to keep the shiny side up despite the control lock if they could have gone flying.

Know your procedures and follow them accurately. But have some backup plans in your hip pocket. You will be a better pilot for it.