PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 approaches , 600lbs fuel left in a 737 of Jet airways in almost VFR
Old 7th Sep 2015, 16:37
pilotbaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Boeing7xx

I understand what you mean by external pressures like DGCA, Flt safety dept, Weather reporting etc etc..

But I am still trying my level best to understand how any of these could be a factor in decision making in any case in general & in this case in particular.

Weather was not bad at all, with broken & scattered layers, calm winds, no CB & TS reported, no Wind Shear, 11000 ft runway..

They make 1st approach, things don't go well, stuff happens, they get unstable, go around, that's normal.

But Before anyone goes for a 2nd shot, they need to take a hard look why they went around the 1st time..

Was it weather or was it unstable approach..??
Did they see the runway at MDA/ DA ??
Were they just unstable..??
Were the winds not what was being reported..??
Did they get any windshear or loss of airspeed..??

They come back for 2nd shot & go around 2nd time again for SOME reason...

WHY even attempt a 3rd approach at that point....?????

Then they HOLD for 30 mins... WHY....????

Then proceed to alternate...

Then 3 more approaches at the alternate....

Tell me which training, which culture, which SOP, which common sense teaches that...???

May be they were having a mechanical issue & they try to trouble shoot the problem. Were they dealing with multiple issues..??

If the crew was dealing with multiple failures, then those guys are Heroes But I don't see anywhere they declared emergency due to mechanical issues..

Did the company or dispatch push them to NOT divert & try one more time..??
Very unlikely but if that was the case, then where was PIC authority..??

I would really like to know what was happening in the flight deck. We all would like to know..

But the fact is TRUTH will most likely NEVER come out..

Pilots will never speak the truth, they know DGCA will interpret the truth in different way. They will cover their back..
The company doesn't care about the crew, they care about the company.. Maintenance will try to protect themselves.

Only hope is CVR & FDR data, that will give some insight to what was actually happening on that day.
Now I don't know that in India, if they make the CVR transcripts available to the public or not..

NTSB usually gives preliminary findings about what happened so others can learn from the incident.

But DGCA will sit on the facts for years, during which, many deals will be made on what goes on the report..
The DGCA report will be most likely be hushed UP, depending on who's got how much PULL, the inquiry can be anything from an eye wash to penalizing the crew..

Last edited by pilotbaba; 7th Sep 2015 at 16:48.