PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-competitive Air New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2003, 07:42
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel

The source of the prices, C1300 was the internet website of No 1 travel, on of the largest travel companies in Japan - the load factors were, as I said, my own observation.

It's a sad situation when valid, easily proven points are raised - in this case I have stated the Air New Zealand's pricing on the KIX-CHC/AKL sectors are the HIGHEST of all of those offered on this website.
And that the seats in the (old) Air N.Z. 767's are wafer-thin, and one piece (meaning when the seat back is reclined, the seat under your backside also slides). That may be okay for the short domestic sectors, but on a flight of around 10 hours plus, they are damned uncomfortable!

And so nzer, after having tried your national airline 3 times on this route (hoping that the 1st or 2nd time might just have been a one-off), I have done precisely what you advise, and DON'T fly with them.
Air New Zealand has thus LOST 3 customers.....oh yes, my family travels with me as well. I have no "baggage" to "sneak through" wrt Air N.Z. - I have never applied to work for them, and do not agree that it was solely their fault that Ansett collapsed - imo, Abeles and Murdoch were the main culprits there.
I flew with Air New Zealand (as a pax) when they operated DC8's, and was quite impressed by them then.

I don't believe it's any secret that ANZ is struggling, yet appear to be pricing themselves OUT of the market, when one compares the fares other companies charge.
As one who has a vested interest in New Zealand, and who travels there 3 or 4 times each year, I am keen to see the country succeed with revenue raised from the tourist dollar, and that means the national airline needs to present something far better than Air New Zealand currently offers, to grab those first dollars.
Kia Ora.