PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkey
Thread: Turkey
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2015, 10:21
t43562

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Just a last thought: my wife is a teacher so she is very concerned by all the things mentioned in the article. As I understand it the education system was pretty much created by those very western-influenced types at the start of Ataturk's period. I believe they actually learned building as part of their course - so they could go out to some area and build the schoolhouse before starting to teach.

Their attitude is extremely strong minded to my ears, and being a teacher is an important thing here - it gives me the feeling of the women's version of national service. You might get educated in a city but if you pass the very stringent civil service exams then you are likely to get sent out to some village in the back of beyond. I am actually posting this from one such place - perhaps not all that isolated but quite basic.

The general belief is that some religious types have been aided in getting through the exams and there are regular cheating scandals but I was still impressed at the effort to defend the civil service from the ignorant and lazy.

It is actually much more profitable to work in private schools but government service has great cachet here. I suppose it's hard to be fired.

Anyhow to come to the point, I think that there are quite a lot of people with a degree of commitment to doing education properly and although it can't prevent the AK nonsense I think there is some doubt about how effective its attempt to pervert things can be.

There have certainly been protests by the teachers about the increased hours of religious education.