PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the NJS BN & CB base closure post?
Old 28th Jun 2003, 02:48
The Baron

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an ex NJS employee from one of the earlier base closures, I would like to pass comment. One of NJS's former strengths was that the pilots, flighties and engineers had a real "can do" co-operative spirit. Unfortunately, in the last few years, instead of respecting this, some sectors of management regarded this as a divine right rather than a privelage. For whatever reason communication has always been a fundamental weakness at NJS.
When my base closed, senior management had been denying the closure for months, even though the caterers and ground staff at Brisbane had been showing us printed schedules showing another aircraft type doing our flying. This occurred right up until the actual announcement.
Looking back at it now, I can imagine them justifying it by using the phrase, "commercial in confidence". It makes perfectly good business sense not to tell your people so that you retain them in position up until stumps. After all, "it's just a contract and we're all expendable, right?"
The question they have to ask themselves when they look in the mirror each day is whether they have dealt with their staff in a humane and moral way. Walk a mile in another mans shoes.