PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restoring or Cleaning Windows
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2015, 09:30
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really want to take the thread down the pilot maintenance deviation but I do see many pilots try and do selective reading of the regs.

It happens often and you see many examples on the various internet forums.

Pilots can't change a side window... it is as simple as that.
You need to work to the vibe of it, the gist of it if you like.

If you think it is too good to be true then it probably is.

Now that said you can start looking at the regs with that in mind and see if you an find the out that allows people to do these various tasks.
The Australian regs are not the easiest to navigate about but if you look at the NZ one or even the FAA version you will get a feel for what they are trying to say.
I have done engineering law exams and operated the licence all over the show, they are all remarkably similar in most respects.

What can be possible is it may be ok for a trained and proficient pilot/owner to replace a window, or at least rather to certify for the job.
Indeed that is where the particular task is often found... under the certification section.
Anyone can make a part for an aircraft. Anyone can work on an aircraft, there is generally no rule there. A ten year old girl can make a new window, out of cardboard if she wanted.

If you do selective reading you will soon discover that.
Now, does that pass the vibe test ? Of course not.

Anyone can make a part, possibly even fit it but it all stops there.
Only certain tasks can be certified and the owner can't certify beyond a few preventative maintenance jobs, and only then if he has been mentored and has the tools, books and skills etc.
The fitting and certifying is naturally the realm of the LAME or A&P.
That is commonsense and is indeed the ways the rules are written.
It doesn't matter how many times you see the owner maintenance fallacy repeated on the internet it still doesn't make it any more correct.

No-one can fit any aircraft part without acceptable data. There are no exceptions and certainly no exemptions for an owner.
Yes, if you read up you may well find that a side window may be able to be fitted and certified. Some countries do allow that but in every case they will have provisos that must be met.
I am thinking in terms of skill and experience there but of course the window may even be an STC'd item so we now have another raft of criteria.

I think the important term is 'may' as opposed to 'can'.

I have even had American pilots try and tell me that as an A&P I can do an engine overhaul. They are obviously not living in the real world.